White elephant parties are growing in popularity as a means for fun, functional gift giving. The fun comes from the fact that sometimes there are great gifts that people can use, but you can always guarantee there’s going to be some kind of crazy gag gift. These little parties are so popular in fact that they become family traditions in some circles. As the warm weather draws close for many of us, we’re often planning different types of home parties and group socials. White elephant games are great for just about any kind of party
- Fourth of July BBQ’s (great way to pass the time)
- Tupperware Parties
- Scentsy Wickless Candle Parties
- Kids Birthday Parties
- Graduation Parties
- Wedding and Baby Showers
- Office & Retirement Parties
What is a White Elephant Party You Ask?
This is a gift exchange party game where the gifts are often inexpensive, silly, humorous, or even simply functional items for around the house. The term “white elephant” refers to a gift that requires more maintenance cost, maintenance that exceeds the usefulness of the item.
The exchange is simple: Each participant supplies one wrapped gift. Participants determine in what order they will take turns choosing gifts. The first person opens a wrapped gift and the turn ends. The second person then chooses whether to open a wrapped gift or “steal” a previously opened gift. If a person has his gift stolen, he also has the option of choosing a wrapped gift or stealing an unwrapped one. When a wrapped gift is opened, the turn ends. When all gifts have been unwrapped, the game ends. Ultimately, if you’re playing you want to end up with the best gift.
So now that you’ve got the basics – here are some great gift ideas for a White Elephant party
1. The Slap Watch – OK, so we’re biased. But you have to admit that the Slap Watch is an ideal white elephant gift. Not only are they fun, but they’re functional and in most cases will fit into the cost rules if your host happens to set a max spend, like $30 or less. They also fit just about anyone so you don’t have to worry about trying to size the band. You can expect a lot of stealing to take place if you bring a Slap Watch to a white elephant party.
2. Scentsy Candles – I don’t know a single woman that doesn’t enjoy scented candles, but I know plenty that don’t use them because of the fire hazard, kids in the home, the soot, etc. Scentsy warmers and the scented wax are super fun gift ideas that easily fit into the white elephant price range for most parties and they’re totally safe! They warm wax with a low-watt light bulb to release the scent, so no smoke or flame. Plus a lot of the designs are adorable. This is also one you can expect people to try to steal from one another (and that’s what makes a white elephant party so much fun!)
3. A Giant Gummy Bear – I really can’t go see a movie with friends or family without hitting up the bulk store and getting a big bag of gummy bears. You know those “no outside food” signs at the theater? Yeah I’m a rebel. I might have a hard time sneaking in one of these guys, though. You can get giant gummy bears ranging from 5lbs. to over 20lbs. Want to get yourself a giant gummy bear packed with more than 30,000 calories? It can be done, just don’t try to squeeze it into your pocket.
4. Origami Sticky Notes! – Remember the fun and functional part? Everyone loves sticky notes, but what do you do when you’re done with them short of throw them away? This is where you can show off your master origami skills with old stickies… or you can just go through the entire pack immediately and make a crane army to take over the office.
5. The Beard Hat – People fall into one of three groups: either you have a beard, you’ve thought about how cool it would be to grow a beard but know your family would disown you, or you simply can’t grow one. Yes, I’m talking to my fellow ladies out there. You know you want a beard. The beard hat makes it easy. It might look like a gag gift but I can bet you it’s one that people will fight over at this type of party.
6. Bacon…anything – I’m still not sure why bacon has become so popular in recent years. Bacon ice-cream, bacon flavored lip gloss, bacon scented soap, etc. I mean, I love bacon… but not enough to rub it all over me. You never know, the other people at the white elephant party might absolutely love the idea and go nuts trying to fight over and steal your bacon flavored/scented gag gift.
7. The World’s Largest Gummy Worm – Edible items are always great for the party, especially when they’re big enough to share with anyone. The other bonus is that if you get stuck with this, and you didn’t want it, you can use it to beat the person holding the gift you want.